Sunday, July 11, 2010

A new ice-cream cafe and new ice-cream flavours!

This month's issue of Lifestyle Magazine showcases the new ice-cream outlet LICK which stands for Little Ice Cream Kafe. It is located at Basement 2 of Ang Mo Kio Hub. Some of the ice-cream flavours featured are rather unique. They cater more to local palates. Each scoop costs $2.90.

There are Cheng Tng, Kaya Toast with "bread bits", Gula Melaka, Bandung with Palm Seeds, D24 Durian and Teh Tarik. I would go for the first one as it sounds rather refreshing. The second one tastes more like Pandan though because of the Pandan-flavoured Kaya used in its making, while the "bread bits" are really sponge fingers, thus using traditional English biscuits to recreate bread. Gula Melaka is the star flavour though a tad sweet. I don't like Palm Seeds so the fourth out is out for me. I like durians but eating them give me asthma. Alas, I can't try the D24 Durian flavour. The last one was lamented as not being authentic enough.

Toppings at $0.80 are also provided. I would ask for Gummy Bears with my ice-cream while Caramel Popcorn is an unusual combination with ice-cream :)

Swensens has come up with new ice-cream flavours. They are savoury-based and some novel flavours are seaweed and pistachio, and salted cornflake. Seaweed is the more novel ingredient for the first flavour while the second one sounds really original. I have never tasted salty ice-cream, and cornflakes are usually toppings for ice-cream rather than ingredients. Each flavour is served in a mini-cup and costs $3.90.

Two parlours have been conducting ice cream-making workshops for the public. These workshops cost about $45 and last for 2 hours. Tom's Palette and Udders are the innovators. I was surprised to read that there is no need for an ice cream machine to make ice cream. Merely a stainless-steel mixing bowl, a weighing machine and ziplock bags are needed to turn the eggs, milk, cream and sugar into ice cream. It sounds tempting to try it at home :)

Some participants were so inspired that they asked for bizarre flavours like Ikan Bilis or Chilli Crab. :S The latter sounds repulsive to me. Chilli ice cream? It is not for me. I am accustomed to the traditionally sweet flavours. At the same time, Tom's Palette sells unusual flavours like Wasabi Lime, Curry Apples and Caramelized Onion, which also sound unenticing to me.

No comments: